Could a male fertility pill adversely affect inhibition via allopregnanolone levels?

kofi kofi at anon.un
Wed Oct 8 14:04:17 EST 2003

In article
<Matthew.Kirkcaldie-D804FD.12433008102003 at seagoon.newcastle.edu.au>,
 Matthew Kirkcaldie <Matthew.Kirkcaldie at deletethis.newcastle.edu.au>
 wrote:

> Oh - and one other comment - considering that the GABA-A receptor
> saturates very easily under normal transmission, we tend to assume that
> allopregnanolone is in use all the time as a kind of "gain control" for
> tonic inhibition.  So interfering with its synthesis would have much
> more drastic effects than generating anxiety, if enough synthesis was
> disrupted.  It can produce seizure as I mentioned in my other post.

If someone with some form of TMJ, attention deficit or glutamate
excitotoxicity experienced a severe worsening of symptoms when taking a
5AR inhibitor, would you attribute that then to some neurological
function performed by 5AR itself?

I have communicated with people who took even low dose finasteride and
experienced, consistently, very palpable differences in the way they
felt while drinking.