the obesity epidemic and overeating, overweight kids

Dag Stenberg dag.stenberg at nospam.helsinki.fi.invalid
Thu Oct 16 03:42:17 EST 2003

James Michael Howard <jmhoward at arkansas.net> wrote:
> Testosterone reduces leptin.  Leptin reduces appetite.  Therefore, children of
> higher testosterone have less appetite suppression.  It is my hypothesis that
> the percentage of individuals of higher testosterone is increasing.  Therefore,
> overeating is increasing.  This accounts for the obesity "epidemic" in the
U.S.

The population sleeps less and sleep onset times have become delayed
during the last 10 years. This afflicts younger and younger age
groups. Daytime sleepiness in schools has increased, especially in
puberty. There is evidence for this (for ref., see Carskadon M et al., several
studies). Because of insufficient sleep, sleep debt accumulates during the
week, and people sleep off part of the accumulated sleep debt during
weekends. Sleep debt reduces leptin. Leptin reduces appetite. Therefore,
children and adults getting insufficient sleep have less appetite
suppression. It has been pointed out that sleep loss increases craving for
fat, carbohydrate and salty food - in a word, junk food. Because of the
epidemically increased sleep deficit, overeating is increasing. This
accounts for the obesity "epidemic" in the U.S.A. and the rest of the
"Western" world.

Dag Stenberg