Can a haircut cause brain damage?

neepy dsutherland7 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 22 10:07:47 EST 2003

"Dag Stenberg" <dag.stenberg at nospam.helsinki.fi.invalid> wrote in message news:<bn5f3c$cpe$1 at oravannahka.helsinki.fi>...
> In bionet.neuroscience NMF <neil.fournier at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> > Some epileptics will have seizures triggered during the actual manipulation
> > and "cutting" of the hair.  That has been reported a few times in the
> > literature.
>
> Could you give one literature reference? Just one to start with. One
> only. If possible.
>
> Dag Stenberg

Sorry to barge in... never heard of a search engine Dag?  Took me 10
seconds to find this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1220931.stm

<START QUOTE>

Simply rubbing a small area of skin may be enough to trigger epileptic
seizures in certain patients.

Research in the Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry
details a number of cases in which patting different parts of the body
brought on attacks.

In one, a 31-year-old man found that having a haircut seemed to lead
to a seizure.

He later realised that if a particular part of his head was rubbed for
10 seconds or more, this caused the problem.

He tended to have seizures every day - but by inducing one prior to
having his hair cut, he could go to the barbers without fear of it
happening again.

In other cases, seizures were induced by patting the shoulder, or even
rubbing the left leg.

UK experts say it is possible to help patients who have specific
triggers for their epilepsy by training them to adapt their behaviour
accordingly.

Professor Stephen Brown, a professor of neuropsychiatry at the
University of Plymouth, said: "I'm not in the least bit surprised by
this research.

"This is what we call an evoked seizure - and a great many people with
epilepsy suffer from them.

"For some, the trigger is listening to music, or perhaps even reading
or knitting."

He said the principal way of treating these patients was a process of
"life hygiene" - to find the threshold of behaviour which leads to
such attacks.

<END QUOTE>