Neuron function question

David Todtman dtodtmanREMOVETHHIS at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 24 13:18:22 EST 2003

> questions, but for a few I may be able to help you out a bit.
You helped a lot.  Thank you.  Here are some questions related to your note.

First, thanks to you and Kal, I got a crucial answer:  the metabotropic
receptors accept binding molecules on the element of the receptor that is
outside the cell.  And, the recepor part inside the cell releases the 2nd
messenger molecules  (e.g., calcium).

Does this mean that neurotransmitters, for example, can be considered "1st
messenger molecules"?  What seemed odd--maybe my mind likes things neat and
tidy--is that my book only mentions "2nd messenger molecules" but there is
no reference to "1st."  My mind thinks if there is a "2nd" there must be a
"1st."

Finally, could you please give the full-word equivelant for cAMP and cGMP.

Gratefully,
David Todtman