Neuron function question

David Todtman dtodtmanREMOVETHHIS at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 24 16:05:39 EST 2003

> 1.  Any receptor-mediated mechanism might be modulated by co-factors
> or by other cellular mechanisms (like other metabotropic receptor
> events).  In general though, you might think of it as a population
> effect.  If more (or fewer) are simultaneously activated or serially
> activated, the internal effect can be modulated proportionately
Oh perfect!   I am getting this picture.

I think I just have a few questions left at this point and then I'll stop
prevailing on your time.

Am I correct to understand that the metabotropic process does not directly
cause the action potential?  My question here is about the other end of the
cell:  I gather that ionotropic action causes the vesicles to migrate to the
cell wall to release neurotransmitters.  So, I think this means that
metabotropic action does not directly cause the vesicular process.  It
(metabo.) may come into play with regard to modulating the production of
neurotransmitters within the cell (which then are deposited into the
vesicles awaiting release).  Eh?

Good wishes,
David