Neuron function question

Kalman Rubinson kr4 at nyu.edu
Fri Oct 24 16:46:22 EST 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 17:24:18 -0400, Kalman Rubinson <kr4 at nyu.edu>
wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:05:39 GMT, "David Todtman"
><dtodtmanREMOVETHHIS at shaw.ca> wrote:

>> My question here is about the other end of the
>>cell:  I gather that ionotropic action causes the vesicles to migrate to the
>>cell wall to release neurotransmitters.
>
>I think you are confusing presynaptic with postsynaptic mechanisms.

What I should have said is that the action of the ionotropic channels
(or, indeed,  of metabotropic receptors on ion channels) can lead to
the entry of enough positive charge to lead to an action potential.
The AP, when it reaches the terminal, can precipitate a series of
events which lead to the release of transmitter.

KR