Correlation Tics and Intelligence?

J C null at nowhere.net
Fri Oct 24 17:00:29 EST 2003

Anyone know of any work done correlating involuntary movements (tics,
tremors, chorea, myoclonias, and so forth) with intelligence?

I've seen 3 instances of what could be classified as benighn familial
chorea. In each the children are of above average intelligence. In one
case the onset was at 1 year of age, and completely resolved by two.
The second case experienced onset at 6 years of age, and now at 12
symptoms see to be diminishing. In the third child, onset is
undetermined, and at age 14 he has characteristic tic-like movements
of the head when he speaks.

I'm wondering if it's fancy on my part or if others have noticed. And
if others have made similar observations I wonder if these childhood
tics are related to general brain development.

-- JC