Neuron function question

KP_PC k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net
Fri Oct 24 17:06:16 EST 2003

"David Todtman" <dtodtmanREMOVETHHIS at shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:Dugmb.168102$6C4.33699 at pd7tw1no...
| > 1.  Any receptor-mediated mechanism might
| > be modulated by co-factors or by other cellular
| > mechanisms (like other metabotropic receptor
| > events).  In general though, you might think of it
| > as a population effect.  If more (or fewer) are
| > simultaneously activated or serially activated,
| > the internal effect can be modulated proportion-
| > ately Oh perfect!   I am getting this picture.
|
| I think I just have a few questions left at this point
| and then I'll stop prevailing on your time.
|
| Am I correct to understand that the metabotropic
| process does not directly cause the action
| potential?  My question here is about the other
| end of the cell:  I gather that ionotropic action
| causes the vesicles to migrate to the cell wall to
| release neurotransmitters.  So, I think this means
| that metabotropic action does not directly cause
| the vesicular process.  It (metabo.) may come
| into play with regard to modulating the production
| of neurotransmitters within the cell (which then are
| deposited into the vesicles awaiting release).  Eh?
|
| Good wishes,
| David

There's nothing that's 'separable'. Everything in-
there is doing the one thing, but think of it in terms
of your everyday experience - to achieve any 'goal',
one must procede along a 'curved' path, first estab-
lishing relatively-fundamental capabilities, and, as
these are established, using them to achieve the
next more-close approach to the goal.

For instance, one who has the goal of becoming
a Professional Football Player doesn't just say,
"I will be a professional football player." Instead,
at a Young age, he exercises his body and pract-
ices Football, growing more experienced with
increasing hours of practice. The hours of prac-
tice establish skills that are useful in playing Foot-
ball - the fundamental capabilities which are as
'tools' with respect to the goal of becoming a
Professional Football Player.

So, too, the nervous system cannot just 'say',
"I'm going to process information by selectively-
tuning ionic energydynamics." The nervous system
must, first; establish more-fundamental capabilities
through which it can, then, selectively tune ionic
energydynamics.

So, in the selective tuning of ionic energydynamics,
the more-fundamental stuff is right-there, a part of
the whole.

There's no 'separating' anything [at least not
within 'normal' nervous system function].

It's part of why nervous systems are so Amazing.

Their 'orchestration' is Exquisitely all-encompassing.

So much so that, look at anything within the nervous
system, and, through the chosen 'lens', one can see
everything else within the nervous system.

This is be-cause everything within nervous systems
does only one thing: 'grasp' the one-way flow of
energy from order to disorder that is what's de-
scribed by 2nd Thermo [WDB2T], and 'climb' the
energy-gradient, inherent, in a globally-orchestrated
way.

So, pick anything within a 'normal' nervous system,
see how it handles WDB2T, and that discloses its
integrated 'role' with respect to everything else within
that nervous system.

My "everyday experience" analogy, above, is of
limited usefulness in one important way with re-
spect to nervous system function. 'Elements' in
'normal' nervous system function are not like people
in interaction - they don't 'wage-war' against each
other. They're all 'good-players' that all work to-
ward the same 'goal' - even the cells that die during
the developmental wiring-up of a nervous system
die 'willingly' be-cause doing so is their way of
working toward the one 'goal' [that is, the devel-
opment of cortical features such as "stripes"
occular-dominance columns, etc., is =not= a
result of 'competition'. Rather, such features are
the result of exquisite co-operation toward the
achievement of the =one= 'goal' [for those who
have AoK, the 'goal' is, of course, TD E/I-mini-
mization, which can be further reduced, as above,
to the 'grasping' and 'climbing' of WDB2T.]

It's 'funny', what nervous systems got-right, so
Beautifully, eons ago, organisms still routinely
botch.

Perhaps, through accumulating understanding of
nervous system information-processing dynamics,
Humans will be able to learn the lesson, inherent?

Anyway, I hope what's here helps with your query.

There's nothing that's 'separable' in-there. Every-
thing within nervous systems co-operates toward
the one 'goal'.

It's very-useful to keep this in-mind as one considers
anything within nervous systems and their functioning.

Cheers, ken [k. p. collins]