Food for Thought

KP_PC k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 27 20:34:09 EST 2003

Hi Peter,

I've been receiving sporadic attacks for years, but, in the case of the one that I refer to as "malicious', someone obviously set up a machine for the express purpose of attacking my machine via email. I watched it run for most of a day. It was sending stuff to my email account that was, 'supposedly' from Microsoft Corp. - but, by corporate policy, Microsoft doesn't send 'updates' via email, so I knew it was a Fraud. It was, apparently, done via a slow connection, because it took most of a day to send 343 attacking packages.

I terminated receiving email because the browser I use automatically "opens" any email that the cursor points to, and, since, the cursor automatically points to the newest email received, I was always running into the hacks whenever I wanted to check my email.

After one thing did a 'tap-dance' on my hard drive, I just closed-off receiving all email.

It's a 'heart'-ache - because it's such a merciless thing to experience - but, in actuality, not a big-deal because, other than requests for AoK, I've only received a few dozen normal emails in 15 years ['Mr. popularity' :-]

I discussed it openly because that's my way of 'lighting the fire' under the seats of ISP's security folks. The hackers 'think' that they can work 'anonomysly' on the Internet, but computers are Deterministic, and anything that goes out over the net is archived during server backups, so there's nothing that's 'untraceable'.

It's a First Amendment thing that constitutes a Subversion of the U. S. Constitution.

I'm waiting to see if that still means anything nowadays [whether those in Authority will embrace its Spirit, or give the Constitution short-shrift].

My ISP has a capability built into its system that allows a user to specify accounts from which the user's account can receive email. I've been wanting to get around to setting up such a list, but have a slew of higher-priority things to do, so I've not yet done it [mostly because it was apparent that this online 'life' would be of short-duration].

So, whoever it was 'succeeded' in 'disconnecting' my incoming-email.

It's no big-deal.

I've got a lot of stuff that needs to be done, all of it important, so I'd've not been able to get side-tracked, anyway.

'Course, this malicious attack 'slayed' my =small=, but genuine, Hope that I'd, one day, receive an email inviting me to publish or present this or that from the work I've done.

"Oh well."

The net result has been that I'm just working-harder, in my Solitude.

Sorry to 'write a book' in reply. As always, I've written what's here for a general audience.

'Taliking to the wind'.

Cheers, Peter,

ken