Report of Ecstasy Drug's Great Risks Is Retracted

Saint Jude, Patron of Lost Causes saintjude2k at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 7 20:59:35 EST 2003

We know that Ricaurte was responsible for the handling of the drug
samples, so the interesting question is whether or not the drug
supplier will deny that a mixup could have happened at their end.

      At any rate, Ricaurte himself previously demonstrated that 5
mg/kg twice a day was not toxic to the dopamine systems of primates;
why he believed that he could produce severe toxicity with 3 doses of
2 mg/kg (two hours apart) is a bit of a mystery.   At the least, he is
sloppy and irresponsible, at worse, he has committed fraud.   I lean
towards the latter explanation.

     Errata:  MDMA is actually preferentially toxic to the dopamine
systems of mice for some reason.  This may be due to differences in
drug uptake or protective mechanisms; I believe all other species show
serotonergic toxicity at high doses with little or no impact on
dopamine neurons.

_____
http://TheDEA.org