What do you use to generate graphs?

r norman rsn_ at _comcast.net
Thu Sep 18 20:24:27 EST 2003

Many thanks for this thread -- it made me finally learn how to do
error bars in Excel!

It works just as well for scatter plots.   Just arrange your data in
columns, say (rows works equally well).  Of course the independent
variable goes in one column, the means of the dependent variable in a
second and the error term (1 or 2 standard errors or standard
deviations or whatever you want) in a third.

Make the usual plot of y vs x using the first two columns for data.
Then right click on a data point to bring up "Format Data Series"
menu. Incidentally, all this is Microsoft Office 2000.  Select the
page Y-Error Bars and select the "Both" if you want both up and down
bars.  Then select the Custom choice.  In both the window for + and
for - you can merely select with the mouse the column of data with
your calculated error values.

This was all spelled out in pieces in earlier posts.  but I wanted to
get it all on one place.  It is not necessary to enter the numbers for
the error terms, just select the cells that contain the values.  You
end up with something like:
    +:   =Sheet1!$M$18:$M$22
to mean the error values are in worksheet 1, cells M18 through M22.

Probably entering a "range formula" would also work, if I could ever
figure out how to do that!