Science in the News

KP_PC k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 22 10:44:51 EST 2003

"New Sun Microsystems Chip May Unseat the Circuit Board", By JOHN MARKOFF

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/22/technology/22SUN.html

Quoting from the New York Times Article:

"For decades, computer designers have tried
to figure out how to make computer systems
out of single large wafers. But designers
have stumbled over the fact that it is
virtually impossible to create large wafers
that are free of defects."

Quoting from the New York Times Article:

"Now the Sun researchers may have surmounted
the hurdle with a simple mechanical solution
- having a bunch of small chips work together
with the computing properties of a single
wafer."

Quoting from the New York Times Article:

"Dr. Sutherland acknowledged that Sun has
more to do before it could determine if its
proximity communication technology was
viable. One issue is potential interference
between the tiny transmitters and receivers.

This "interference" problem can only be
resolved via the Topological methods that
I've been discussing. [Hey Sun, I've been
working on this problem for decades, and
am Expert in it. Why not hire me? :-]

Quoting from the New York Times Article:

"A second issue is cooling. As chips are
moved closer together the challenges in
removing heat increase sharply."

This's a more-'difficult' problem with respect
to the 'hoopla'-factor of the stuff that's reported-
on - because it necessitates internal 'circulatory
systems' that diminish the compactness that's
being celebrated.

WDB2T Rules :-]

Determines what can be done, and the Work
entailed in drawing-closer to what can be done.
["Volitional diminishing-returns decision" stuff,
AoK, Ap7, same-old, same-old.]

"Low-Calorie-Diet Study Takes Scientists Aback", By GINA KOLATA

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/19/science/19DIET.html

Quoting from the New York Times Article:

"For now, no one has a clue about what the
crucial changes are in a fly's body when it
goes on or off a diet. `It's been assumed
that the reason things live longer when
they diet is that there is a slowing down
of age-related damage,' Dr. Partridge said.
But, she added, it now appears that cannot
be true. `The system has no memory.`"

Quoting from the New York Times Article:

"`It seems like the dietary restriction puts
the flies into a different kind of state
where they are temporarily able to resist
damaging events so that they survive rather
than die,' Dr. Warner said."

Quoting from the New York Times Article:

"But, at least in flies, she can now start
asking what is happening to give the insects
a suit of armor against whatever it is that
might have killed them. Or, she said, 'the
more interesting question is, What is
killing them when they eat too much?`"

There's actually no 'mystery' inherent in
these findings. As I've discussed in long-
former posts, Death is 'engineered' into
'the' genome be-cause, left to 'blind'-auto-
mation, genetic-instance-to-genetic-in-
stance TD E/I-minimization capacities
are finite - so organizms Die rather than
stand in the way of further TD E/I-mini-
mization by succeeding generations.

The 'on/off' dynamics that are Reported-on
in this article derive in Adaptive-Generality
that's built into 'the' genome. The low-calorie
regime 'mimics' hard-food-finding environ-
mental conditions, and switches 'the'
genome into prolonged-survival mode
with respect to such. That's all that's
happening.

An analogous, but entirely-Positive, thing
will happen when the way that nervous
systems process information via 'blindly'-
automated TD E/I-minimization is Generally
comprehended - when the 'blindness' is
turned-off.

Folks'll stop killing one another, so there'll
come a strong tendency for folks to Live
longer.

But, although this effect will be greatly-sig-
nificant, it will be a minor effect relative to
the effect that the understanding will have
with respect to populations-wide TD E/I-
minimization capacities, which are, cur-
rently, largely going to Waste be-cause
self-interested prejudice-toward-the-familiar
["PTOFA" [pronounced "too-fa", like the
sound one makes when expectorating :-]
has virtually everyone focussing, not on
Progress, but upon 'thwarting' the 'progress'
of others.

When this last stuff is overcome, via folks'
coming to understand the way in which
nervous systems process information via
'blindly'-automated TD E/I-minimization,
all of Humanity will be Transformed, and
as this Transformation procedes, more
and more of the energy that's been going
to Waste will be turned to Humanity's
Generalized Progress.

Anyway, this low-cal 'on/off'-ness is no
'mystery'. It's just hard-times species-
survival that's built-right-into 'the' genome.

It's a part of the Generalized-Adaptability
that is what's been referred to as "intel-
ligence".

k. p. collins

[P. S. Cheers, Ms. K.]

--
Sorry, be-cause of a malicious attack,
I've had to instruct my ISP to block all