FUTURE!!

chakraba samit at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Tue Apr 6 14:54:34 EST 2004

Hi!

I am a systems (old fashioned, namely whole animal spinal cord
electrophysiology) neurophysiologist with a keen interest in development.

Wondering, I need to decide as to where I go for my third, and hopefully the
last postdoc of my career. I started in the UK, then moved to NYC and then
here in Winnipeg.

I would love to get back to the UK or Europe. However, the suggestions and
the information from that end that is related to me by many appears to be
that it is all going downhill. Canada is like between a rock and a
hard-place for somebody who is not Canadian and is trying to get a foot
though the door, as it appears to be a great big network, at least that is
what it appears to be from here.
US has new fangled rules that disallow one to apply for your own grants
until you are a greencard holder, is this true and applied? If so then, my
wanting to apply for a grant to do further work is doomed instantly,
something that I can at least try when in the UK.

Can anyone advice me with some of their views.

Cheers
S Chakrabarty

INSIGHT: A TEMPORARY CESSATION OF STUPIDITY

S CHAKRABARTY, PhD (CANTAB)