Brain, Behaviour and Extensionalism

ken kpaulc at [remove]earthlink.net
Fri Apr 9 20:59:02 EST 2004

"Glen M. Sizemore" <gmsizemore2 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:cbe999570d845934189d1fedfe8c2be7 at news.teranews.com...
> [post reranged at bottom]
> "JXStern" <JXSternChangeX2R at gte.net> wrote in message
> news:k5sd701a2tgvb7hae21iadv37jou4kn7pa at 4ax.com...
> > On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 17:08:02 +0100, David Longley
> > <David at longley.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > >     The easy familiarity of mentalistic talk is not to be trusted."
> > >
> > >       W.V.O Quine
> > >       Mind and Verbal Dispositions p.83-84 and p.94-95
> >
> > Yes, but this is exactly why the general works
> > of Quine fell out of favor, baby and bathwater
> > together.
> >
> > I have a theory that my computer contains a
> > program, and Quine's behavioristic talk about
> > it just turns out to be flat wrong.
> >
> > J.

[GS:]
> And there were some guys who had a notion that
> material bodies contained phlogiston.

Material bodies do contain the one-way flow of
energy, from order to disorder, that is what's =de-
scribed= by 2nd Thermo [WDB2T].

And WDB2T does Determine their "Materialness".

> And earlier, there were a bunch of folks who
> thought that anything that moved did so because
> of some indwelling spirits.

WDB2T does "indwell" all of physical reality, in-
cluding anything that moves, whether it's alive, or
stone-dead.

> Now, were they right or wrong?

I observe that they were just ahead of their 'time',
and missing some important "details" of exposition.

With respect to your other, repeated, thing with re-
spect to showing you a physiological manipulation,
it's old-long-since that Experiment has done exactly
what you say "cannot" be done.

Self-stimulating Electrode placements in the hypo-
thalamus, which are triggered by treadle-pressing,
alter the subject's behavior - the subject will press
the treadle continually, until it starves to death.

All that's needed to initiate this deadly treadle-pres-
sing 'orgy' is an inadvertant step upon the treadle
during 'normal' explatory behavior.

1. Whence comes Autonomy?
2. Whence comes Creativity?
3. Whence comes Curiosity?