Define knowledge [was Re: Brain, Behaviour and Extensionalism]

Rick Craik "rick at " at icebergideas..com
Sat Apr 10 14:21:31 EST 2004

"Wolf Kirchmeir" <wolfekir at sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:FBUdc.16773$BF2.1382190 at news20.bellglobal.com...
> NMF wrote:
>
> > Even the measurable laws of physics,
> > that we use to deem a glimpse into nature and construct of the
> > universe, may in fact be artifacts of the human brain.
> ...snip...
>
> Of course they are. What else could they be? The more interesting
> question is, Why do they work so well? Why do they work at all, for that
> matter?
>
> Comparisons with other animals suggest that sensoria evolved s they did
> because they provided useful information to the organism. IOW, this
> information is "true" - ie, represents the world well enough that action
> based on it will add to the creature's survival potential.

I generally define;
    Understand - perceive significant and causal data.
    Knowledge - a persistent inference that gives a truth.
    Intelligence - the ability to acquire and apply knowledge.
    Intelligent - a measurable degree of intelligence.

I think of information as something that emerges from noise,
hence the idiosyncrasy of data versus information.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Rick