Brain, Behaviour and Extensionalism

John H. johnh at faraway.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Sat Apr 10 20:26:00 EST 2004

"Lester Zick" <lesterDELzick at worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:40780c50.11846792 at netnews.att.net...
> On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 10:45:12 +0200, Bouh in comp.ai.philosophy wrote:

> >> How do you know that for certain?
> >
> >Experiments show that once someone dies, the universe continues to
> >function normally.
>
> Well, technically, experiments show that once someone dies our
> universe continues to function normally, not necessarily theirs.
>
> Regards - Lester

The physicist Eddington who once said, "Every time a man dies a universe
dies with him." All very confusing stuff, from a common sense perspective it
doesn't make any sense at all. But that is nothing compared to Wheeler's
delayed choice dual slit experiment. In regard to common sense though, that
unusual physicist Paul Davies stated in an interview that when he was
learning QM he was having tremendous difficulty because it all seemed so
counter intuitive, he only began to get his head around it when he abandoned
the idea that it must "feel right" and simply did the maths. This is
similiar to something the great mathematician von Neumann once said to a
student, "Young man, in mathematics you don't understand things, you just
get used to them." If you're not familiar with Wheeler's expt Lester, do a
quick search and you'll find plenty on the web about it. Sometime ago I read
a statement by Wheeler wherein he stated that when physics is over we'll
probably find ourselves starring back at us(which is sooooo Buddhist). It
does reinforce the comment by Physicist Prof Bob Wald when he said, "If you
truly understand quantum mechanics, you can't take it seriously."

John H