Brain, Behaviour and Extensionalism

Lester Zick lesterDELzick at worldnet.att.net
Sun Apr 11 11:29:41 EST 2004

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 16:08:20 +1000, "Peter F."
<effectivespamblock at ozemail.com.au> in comp.ai.philosophy wrote:

><Bouh> wrote in message news:ndbg701bj7q26e4d4rel0j1o9456u8fn5d at 4ax.com...
>> On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 11:14:07 +0100, David Longley
><snip>
>> But there is a little misunderstanding: I've never said that QM played
>> a role in intelligence. It might or might not. I don't know. But I
>> don't rule out the possibility.
>
>Nor should you rule it out, IMO.
>
>Anyone contemplating carefully (and commenting reasonably) from a broadly
>science aligned/informed position of overview, will have to conclude that
>quantuum world (aspect of 'What Is going on') is fundamental to any and
>every aspect of how we are.

This is incorrect. We cannot exclude quantum effects as the mechanical
basis for sentience. But there is no justification for concluding that
such effects are definitely the mechanical basis for sentience without
comprehending the mechanics of sentience.

>It does not matter if we cannot yet (_or_ never) experimentally correlate
>anything that we might mean by consciousness (or 'mentally or motorially
>manifest behaviour', for that matter) with observations of 'quantuum-weird
>world' made in the field of fundamental physical science.
>
>And one last thing:
>Human consciousness (however people like to think about it or explain it)
>has nothing to do with the fact that plants and animals, and geological and
>astrophysical events, got fossilized (in various ways) for us to find that
>they did; _Only_ us finding out _that_ it all did does.
>
>%-]

><snip>

Regards - Lester