Brain, Behaviour and Extensionalism

Bouh at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk Bouh at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Sun Apr 11 17:13:45 EST 2004

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 16:29:41 GMT, lesterDELzick at worldnet.att.net
(Lester Zick) wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 16:08:20 +1000, "Peter F."
><effectivespamblock at ozemail.com.au> in comp.ai.philosophy wrote:
>
>><Bouh> wrote in message news:ndbg701bj7q26e4d4rel0j1o9456u8fn5d at 4ax.com...
>>> On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 11:14:07 +0100, David Longley
>><snip>
>>> But there is a little misunderstanding: I've never said that QM played
>>> a role in intelligence. It might or might not. I don't know. But I
>>> don't rule out the possibility.
>>
>>Nor should you rule it out, IMO.
>>
>>Anyone contemplating carefully (and commenting reasonably) from a broadly
>>science aligned/informed position of overview, will have to conclude that
>>quantuum world (aspect of 'What Is going on') is fundamental to any and
>>every aspect of how we are.
>
>This is incorrect. We cannot exclude quantum effects as the mechanical
>basis for sentience. But there is no justification for concluding that
>such effects are definitely the mechanical basis for sentience without
>comprehending the mechanics of sentience.

In fact, DL says, in a way, that his experiments ( and day to day work
) don't need a functional basis other than behaviour at the highest
level ( human or animal behaviour ). I guess he gets enough
"significant" results but the problem is that he's just studying
behaviour, not intelligence. Most of the tasks we perform don't
require real intelligence ( make coffee, drive a car, play tennis...
). But even while performing these stupid tasks, the brain reacts with
such a blazing speed that it wouldn't astonish me if QM plays a
functional role. Now, of course, it has to be said that Peter is also
right in the sense that since all matter and energy follows the rules
of QM, everything scientifically known to man depends on it ( it was a
message I tried to send to DL for some time, without being able to
express it as clearly )