Brain, Behaviour and Extensionalism

Lester Zick lesterDELzick at worldnet.att.net
Tue Apr 13 17:20:16 EST 2004

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:39:44 GMT, JXStern <JXSternChangeX2R at gte.net>
in comp.ai.philosophy wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:16:15 GMT, patty <pattyNO at SPAMicyberspace.net>
>wrote:
>>> In *any* linguistic setup, the language text is one thing, the
>>> interpretation another.  Ones and zeros have no intrinsic meaning as a
>>> program.  Feed a binary file from a Wintel machine to your Mac and see
>>> what I mean (or vice-versa, depending on what emulators you may have
>>> available!)  Even lines of source code (eg Java) don't have intrinsic
>>> meaning, especially for people who do not know the Roman alphabet and
>>> the many linguistic conventions and formal definitions involved in any
>>> programming language.
>>
>>Yep according to Charles Sanders Peirce there are three things wherever
>>we have a sign ... above you mention two of them.
>>
>>See: http://users.bestweb.net/~sowa/peirce/ontometa.htm
>
>Very nice, I need to read this carefully, and review what else I have
>on my bookshelf from Sowa.  I like the idea - computational semiotics.
>Are you working in this area, semiotics and semantic web?
>
>As Sowa tells it (is this pure Peirce?):
>
>A sign has three aspects: it is (1) an entity that represents (2)
>another entity to (3) an agent.
>
>Frankly, I'm not sure that I mentioned any of these three.  I want to
>agree with Peirce, but I'm a bit leary of "signs" as requiring more
>intentionality than I want to admit.  That is, I want to derive
>intentionality, not assume it.  I think that is the modern challenge.
>OTOH, with the proper revisionist interpretations, there is a lot to
>learn from the last 2500 years' work in semiotics.  Maybe.

I haven't read the website yet but if we take the approach you suggest
the only way to derive the signs is through analysis of the agent and
the mechanics associated with that agent. You can only derive the
intentionality, if I understand the term correctly, from properties
characteristic of agency in general. Which I take to represent
differences and differences between differences.

Regards - Lester