Brain, Behaviour and Extensionalism

patty pattyNO at SPAMicyberspace.net
Wed Apr 14 09:37:27 EST 2004

David Longley wrote:
> In article <5fso70tum87hn3ojir4mdk290v6g8gjt9a at 4ax.com>, JXStern
> <JXSternChangeX2R at gte.net> writes

>>> I haven't read the website yet but if we take the approach you suggest
>>> the only way to derive the signs is through analysis of the agent and
>>> the mechanics associated with that agent.
>>

>> Yes!
>>
>> Exactly!
>>
>> I'm not saying it's easy, or even that I can outline the entire
>> process, only that something like that has to be the case.
>

> "signs"... "mechanics associated with that agent"............ Just how
> much Pavlov, Watson, Skinner, Hull etc have you studied (never mind
> Quine and the rest of the empiricists).

Well the "mechanics associated with that agent" might be something like
The Rescorla-Wagner Model of Classical Conditioning - see
<http://krantzj.hanover.edu/JavaTest/rescrolawagner/>
there is a Java program to play with ... also Sniffy the Virtual Rat
<http://www.wadsworth.com/psychology_d/special_features/ext/sniffy/index.htm>.
Semiotics is just the art of seeing the relation between marks, agents
like the above running whatever mechanics, and objects.  Is there
something to the dance of these signs ... how they interact ... the
texture the history of their interactions produces.  The sign relation
gives us a tool to talk about the texture of the dance without caring
about the internal mechanics of the associated agents.  For example,
note how, since we are on the Internet here, the texture of our
interaction can be quite different than it would be were we just
writting letters and sending them snail-mail.  For one thing the marks
above between <> are to be clicked upon, other servers and programs will
be interacted with ... they are not just marks to be interperted by the
agent inside your heads ... other agents with other mechanics have
joined the dance.

patty