Brain, Behaviour and Extensionalism

ken kpaulc at [remove]earthlink.net
Wed Apr 14 10:13:40 EST 2004

"JPL Verhey" <petervar at 12move.nl> wrote in message
news:407d1fdb$0$41750$5fc3050 at dreader2.news.tiscali.nl...

> "Lester Zick" <lesterDELzick at worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> news:407ab55c.45010209 at netnews.att.net...
> > On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:34:44 +1000, "Peter F."
> > <effectivespamblock at ozemail.com.au> in comp.ai.philosophy wrote:
> >

> > >"Lester Zick" <lesterDELzick at worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > >news:4079c410.41628901 at netnews.att.net...
> > ><snip>
> > >
> > >The only _reasonable_ (~non-religiously
> > >natural~) and most generally conclusive
> > >philosophical reasoning possible, is that
> > >consciousness (a complex multifaceted/
> > >multilevel/modular phenomenon of being
> > >and interacting as an *individual*) _do
> > >need_ (or fundamentally/essentially) the
> > >quantum aspect of What Is going on.
> > >
> > I definitely disagree that the mechanics of
> > intelligence or sentience are quantum.
>
> Hi Lester, can you explain what you mean
> with "quantum" and "quantum effects".
>
> As I understand it, "quantum effects" con-
> cern also (the effect of) quantum jumps.
> These quantum jumps are called unpred-
> ictable, uncontrolable and indivisible
> (btw..are they?) quantum transitions be-
> tween discrete orbits.The quantum of ac-
> tion is a major building block (If I may
> call it that) of all known matter.  I don't
> know how many of such quantum jumps
> per second are taking place in the nerv-
> ous system.. but my guess is it will be
> astronomic. I predict that if you'd take
> out the quatum jump, aqa quatum of
> action.. intelligence (whatever that is) and
> sentience are non-existent.
>
> If the mechanics of intelligence or sent-
> ience are not quantum.. maybe they are
> not protonic..neutronic.. electromagnetic
> ..photonic..synaptic..biochemical..either.

These are all aggragate functions of con-
tinuous energy-flow.

The "mechanics of intelligence or sentience"
are =not= 'quantum'.

> >The mechanics of intelligence have to
> > use material the mechanics of which
> > definitely are quantum mechanics
>
> What you mean by "using" ? All mech-
> anics are spatio-temporally related, on
> all levels we decide to distinguish.

That which has been referred to as "time"
has no physically-real existence.

All mechanics is 'just' 3-D energy-gradient.

What has been referred to as "time" is 'just'
energy's flowing down the one universal
energy-gradient, from order to disorder,
that is what's =described= by 2nd Thermo
[WDB2T].

> >but I have seen no clear rationale pre-
> >sented by anyone that the mechanics of
> >intelligence are just those of quantum
> >interactions.
>
> I also have never seen anyone claiming
> that, in the "just" sense.
>
> cheers
>
> >In other words if you expect to calculate
> >material interactions and functions of intel-
> >ligence on the same basis you may not
> >get correct answers for intelligence. At
> > least I don't know of anyone who can
> >calculate sentient processes in such a way
> >or even suggest why they have to be cal-
> >culatable according to common equations.

Infinitely-divisible topologically-distributed
ratios calculate everything within physical
reality, all the way down.

Of course, to do this with respect to anything,
one must know the topologically-distributed
energy-gradient, inherent.

With respect to nervous systems, that's the
neural Topology - all the way down to the
level of "points" in 3-D space.

K. P. Collins