NASA develops 'mind-reading' system

dan michaels dan at oricomtech.com
Wed Apr 14 15:03:13 EST 2004

http://www.google.com/custom?&q=blindsight+superior+colliculus&sitesearch=

> > Two of the principles of evolution are re-use and redundancy. The 2
> > R's. Read "An Earful of Jaw" by Stephen Gould.
> > ===========================
>
> Not sure redundancy is relevant here because each region plays a distinct
> role in visual processing.

No telling what might have happened "overall" regards evolution of the
visual system, except that the superior colliculus in mammals is
apparently homologous with the optic tectum of amphibians. Regards the
middle ear [cf S.G. - "AEFOJ"], certain parts of the gills of fish
[the more posterior parts] evolved into certain bones in the jaws of
reptiles [the more posterior bones], which in turn evolved into the
ossicles of the middle ear in mammals. So the story goes. Read the
article by Gould - it's fascinating.
==================

> > "... seeing the object in full ..."  What kind of slip of the tongue
> > was that?
>
> From a confused mind! Still can't get my head around this and yet to see a
> convincing account of how representation occurs.

One day all will be clear.
=================

> > Or it simply means: (a) there are several parallel processing pathways
> > which contribute to the ultimate representation, or (b) that only one
> > of the pathways is responsible for creating the internal "mental
> > image" we do all of us see, and the other pathways simply perform
> > subconscious processing that our consciousness is not privy to. That's
> > news.
>
> Except that I think it begs the question of just what we mean by
> representation. The image we see is both identifying the object by naming
> it, locating it in space, colour(V3???), and relevance to the organism
> (pfc?, frontal eye fields?). I do not see how that can be achieved by one
> pathway.
>

> John H>

It takes 3, not 1 - maybe.