Brain, Behaviour and Extensionalism

patty pattyNO at SPAMicyberspace.net
Thu Apr 15 10:48:48 EST 2004

Curt Welch wrote:
> patty <pattyNO at SPAMicyberspace.net> wrote:
>

>>Yep according to Charles Sanders Peirce there are three things wherever
>>we have a sign ... above you mention two of them.
>

> I don't understand the complexities of the field of languge study (to
> advanced for my taste), so I can't debate this really.  But at the low
> level where I'm headed, there's only two things.  The sign, and the way the
> way we react to it.  And by "react" I'm not talking just external behavior,
> I'm talking about the total reaction inside our body in response to sensing
> the sign.

This is not complicated ... it's so simple that even i can understand
it.  You see a mark on the ground and you react to it ... good example.
  Here we indicate 2 of the elements of the sign but omit the third
which must always be there.  Let's get more particular ... suppose that
the mark on the ground was a footprint of a lion and your reaction was
to run like hell.  Are you not forgetting something?

... pause for dramatic effect ...

... pause for dramatic effect ...

... pause for dramatic effect ...

... pause for dramatic effect ...

... pause for dramatic effect ...

... pause for dramatic effect ...

... pause for dramatic effect ...

... pause for dramatic effect ...

What about the lion ?

So the sign relation is (lion, run like hell, footprint).

patty