Brain, Behaviour and Extensionalism

JXStern JXSternChangeX2R at gte.net
Fri Apr 16 11:33:39 EST 2004

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 15:48:48 GMT, patty <pattyNO at SPAMicyberspace.net>
wrote:
>This is not complicated ... it's so simple that even i can understand
>it.  You see a mark on the ground and you react to it ... good example.
>... pause for dramatic effect ...
>
>What about the lion ?
>
>So the sign relation is (lion, run like hell, footprint).

But what if you're hunting lions?

What if the lion is hunting you and has doubled back - so which way do
you run?

What if the footprint is very old?

What if it's facing the other way?

What if there are footprints facing every which way?

What if there's an angry elephant behind you?

What if you can see the lion, and it's caught in a trap?

What if you see a nine year old kid with some plastic lion paws on a
stick making tracks?

The problem is that raw sign relations are way too un-complicated for
the real world.  That's where computation comes in, it allows all
these other states to exist and interact with proximal stimuli.
Computation lets you cook the sign relations into something more.  I
know you know this, I'm just bringing it back into the discussion.

J.