Ken's Work

John H. johnh at faraway.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Apr 21 08:42:21 EST 2004

news:fa69ae35.0404200632.27a33fe8 at posting.google.com...

news:<tz6hc.1703$eZ5.1419 at newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> > "John H." <johnh at faraway.> wrote in message
> > news:4084e995 at dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> > > "David B. Held" <dheld at codelogicconsulting.com> wrote in message
> > > news:c5vtmg$42h$1 at news.astound.net...

> Secondly, you do not seem to acknowledge the recent neuroscience
> research. Some of the recent papers might actually support your
> "computational" thesis, for instance about the role amygdala and
> hippocampus...

Some months ago on bionet.neuroscience I pointed out to Ken a recent review
on the hippocampus that I felt gave strong support to his ideas(ie, hippo as
a "super configuration" system). Hormones and the Hippocampus was the title
I think but can't find it right now. I trust Ken took note of it because the
review contains a wealth of valuable information and references in support
of his position. Anyway, checked pubmed: here it is and it can be downloaded
for free at the journal site:

J Endocrinol. 2001 May;169(2):205-31.  Related Articles, Links

Hormones and the hippocampus.

Lathe R.

Centre for Genome Research and Centre for Neuroscience, University of
Edinburgh, West Mains Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JQ, UK.

Hippocampal lesions produce memory deficits, but the exact function of the
hippocampus remains obscure. Evidence is presented that its role in memory
may be ancillary to physiological regulation. Molecular studies demonstrate
that the hippocampus is a primary target for ligands that reflect body
physiology, including ion balance and blood pressure, immunity, pain,
reproductive status, satiety and stress. Hippocampal receptors are
functional, probably accessible to their ligands, and mediate physiological
and cognitive changes. This argues that an early role of the hippocampus may
have been in sensing soluble molecules (termed here 'enteroception') in
blood and cerebrospinal fluid, perhaps reflecting a common evolutionary
origin with the olfactory system ('exteroception'). Functionally,
hippocampal enteroception may reflect feedback control; evidence is reviewed
that the hippocampus modulates body physiology, including the activity of
the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis, blood pressure, immunity, and
reproductive function. It is suggested that the hippocampus operates, in
parallel with the amygdala, to modulate body physiology in response to
cognitive stimuli. Hippocampal outputs are predominantly inhibitory on
downstream neuroendocrine activity; increased synaptic efficacy in the
hippocampus (e.g. long-term potentiation) could facilitate throughput
inhibition. This may have implications for the role of the hippocampus and
long-term potentiation in memory.

Publication Types:
Review
Review, Academic

PMID: 11312139 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]