I've Eliminated 'irrational' numbers

Glen M. Sizemore gmsizemore2 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 11:48:06 EST 2004

Norman: You might as well also question the existence of "learned mental
constructs" as honor, integrity, loyalty, etc. We humans live in an
intellectual world of ideas which transcend the physical reality of
the spatial/material/energy world our bodies inhabit.

GS: OK. "Learned mental constructs" exist only in the sense that the
behavior they are said to explain "exists" or, at least, occurs. What exists
is operant stimulus control and the inter-related processes of
discrimination and generalization. These behavioral processes are, no doubt,
mediated by physiology, but in as yet unknown ways. So, it would be more
correct to say that what exists is a physiology that results in what we call
behavioral processes that are modulated by exposure to past and current
environments. "Constructs" exist "in" behavior, not in the brain or alleged
mind. Another way of saying this is that "mental constructs" is a
scientifically useless term.

Needless to say, I'm not endorsing anything Ken says.

Cordially,

Glen

news:dsdf80tjeiannajhrgjd915gbulna9ep70 at 4ax.com...