An electrophysiology quesiton

Xiaoshen Li xli6 at
Wed Feb 11 12:50:26 EST 2004

Thank you so much for your great explanation. It really helped me a lot.
I have another question related with voltage clamp. This question is

"An interesting side issue worth mentioning here is that a voltage clamp
applied to one end of a cable is mathematically equivalent to a short
circuit at that end. The use of a voltage clamp will thus fundamentally
alter the electronic structure of a neuron..." (Foundations of Cellular
Neurophysiology by Johnston and Wu, 1995, page 78)

Could you explain why a voltage clamp on a neuron is adding a short
circuit to the neuron? Since voltage clamp changes the electronic
structure of a neuron, all the data obtained is actually from a changed
neuron. Maybe there is a need to reinterpret the published voltage clamp
data if the original authors were not aware of this issue.

Thank you so much for your help.