Percentage of brain used for conciousness?

Tom Adams tadamsmar at
Fri Jan 9 11:57:57 EST 2004

r norman <rsn_ at> wrote in message news:<graovvcfc55jmdslf159btpg32npusqvgk at>...
> On 7 Jan 2004 07:29:00 -0800, guyscarsbrook at (Guy Lux)
> wrote:

> Most concepts of consciousness  -- there is a very large literature in
> the realms of neurology, psychology, cognitive science, and philosophy
> that you should consult -- indicate that it is necessarily related to
> integrating a sense of "self" with the experience of behavior in the
> world. That is, you do need to have available sensory information
> about what is happening in the world and also how your own actions
> modify what happens in the world.  So without any sensory input, there
> really could't be consciousness in the form we usually consider.

I don't see that sensory input would be necessary.  Inputs from
some sort of simulated "world" could be sufficient the development of

And a developed consciousness might not need any inputs to sustain itself.
It could be conscious of imagination and memory.