regularity of spike series

mat mats_trash at
Sat Jan 24 07:46:00 EST 2004

y.k.y at (yan king yin) wrote in message news:<72de81ae.0401231727.6564dfcf at>...
> Spike trains obtained from a single neuron is the
> result of dendritic integration of ~1000 to 100,000
> of other neurons' inputs. What kind of information can
> autocorrelation of a few spike trains reveal? Probably
> very little...
> I guess your research will be more fruitful if you
> focus more on single neuron information processing.
 These are not single neuron spikes they are field potentials.  I'm
using an in vitro model of epileptic activity by perfusing magnesium
free artificial CSF.  What I would like to establish is whether there
is any degree of regularity to these trains of depolarizations
(~6-10/min) and see if this is altered when I co-perfuse drugs across
the cortex.

Autocorrelograms can reveal simple regularities in spike trains, e.g.
if many spikes are followed by another one at 30s then you'll get a
bump in the autocorrelogram.  But since I've not found anything like
that what I need is a measure of higher-order patterns, though I'm not
sure even if I find one how to interpret that since it might be highly