a thinking brain

Glen M. Sizemore gmsizemore2 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 2 06:37:46 EST 2004

Alpoamigawannabe: You need to read Jeffrey Grays new book.

GS: Why, does he give a somewhat complete view of what happens when a
discriminated operant is acquired? That is the key to "intelligence."

Alpoamigawannabe: The understanding of physiology vis intelligent behavior
is further along than your insipid hallucinations presume.

GS: Well, that's certainly what many "cognitive neurobiologists" will tell
you, and it is easy to get simpleton programmers to agree (as well as many
government agencies that dispense research money). I assert that we aren't
even close to explaining, in any physiological detail, how it is that
spontaneous behavior changes in frequency because of its consequences, and
how such behavior comes to be controlled by antecedent stimuli.

There are a great many facts in neurobiology directly related to behavior in
intact humans and non-human animals, but there are few good organizing
conceptualizations, and many, many, obviously misguided ones. Well,
"obviously misguided" to those who know something beyond folk-psychology and
mainstream "cognitive" psychology (which is now, pretty much, what
mainstream psychology is).

news:dd9d0621c710921fce97d322ce80bc3a at news.teranews.com...