death of the mind.

David Longley David at longley.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 10 08:24:22 EST 2004

In article <40EFE150.1070802 at xympatico.ca>, Joe Legris
<jalegris at xympatico.ca> writes
>Glen M. Sizemore wrote:
>> Odd that Peter would have referred you to O'Regan and Noe, and then say what
>> he does about "seeing red" (but then, Peter is a complete idiot). O& N is
>> indispensable reading after Science and Human Behavior, About Behaviorsm,
>> and an undergrad text on behavior analysis. I leave out Verbal Behavior
>> because it is not really possible to read it on your own.
>>

>That's right.
>
>Skinner intended V.B. as a speculative work, but by now it has attained
>the status of standard dogma for the radical behaviourist. The worthy
>task of empirically verifying Skinner's conjectures as they pertain to
>humans (conveniently unethical, no?) has been deprecated in favour of
>political indoctrination, a time-honoured technique for instilling
>"difficult" subject matter. A qualified handler will ensure that you
>"understand" the book.

Skinner regarded it as his most important work, and here, even Quine
deferred to him. As to your last sentence, that's usually how education
works. It seems that you alas, (and some others here) have a problem
with that. Smarter folk like JH, CW and PC ask questions, suffer a
little along the way (as one must in my view) and their behaviour
changes as a consequence. You seem to have "forgotten" how universities
and other education institutions work as part of your verbal community.
Sadly, a lot of the time, they just don't work!

In other words, colloquially, you're an arrogant idiot. Why not do
something about it?

--
David Longley