death of the mind.

David Longley David at longley.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 16 04:47:13 EST 2004

In article <ZLEJc.26181$TB3.1010975 at news20.bellglobal.com>, Allan C
Cybulskie <allan.c.cybulskie at yahoo.ca> writes
>For those people who might be interested in reading on behaviourism, I don't
>recommend reading what David and Glenn suggest, because Quine and Skinner
>are probably way too confusing for beginners, and David's "Fragments"
>doesn't really say much at all  I did read a good book recently by John
>Staddon called "The New Behaviorism: Mind, Mechanism and Society" that does
>a pretty good job describing Skinner and other behaviourists, and also
>points out some of the flaws and issues and motivations of Skinner.

Staddon's book provides an idiosyncratic view of modern behaviourism.
 From the 70s he had been trying to chip away at some of the fundamentals
of Skinnerian Radical Behaviorism, and there's no harm in that, in fact,
it's what good science is all about. Personally, I'm not swayed by much
of what Staddon says (any more than I was by Herrnstein), and I'm not
sure many others are, but that doesn't mean I would discourage anyone
from reading what he writes. Herrnstein in particular took the EAB down
a new route. The point to grasp is that when one begins to focus on a
molar and relative response rate analysis of behaviour, one becomes
concerned with different issues to those when one focuses on a molecular
and absolute response rate analysis. Both Herrnstein and Staddon took
the Experimental Analysis of Behaviour down a quantitative route, one
which all too easily collapses into worst of computationalism and
cognitivism unless done so with extreme restraint.

 From what you write here, and in your others posts (which I'm not going
to respond to individually as they just make the same nebulous errors
that you have made in the past), I don't think you (presently)
have enough grounding to make informed comments on these matters. Having
said that, you've got my respect for for picking up Staddon's book and
reading it. Just bear in mind that Staddon is a bit of a heretic. His
"theoretical behaviourism" is apparently non-mentalistic, but takes part
of its inspiration from Hull <g>. You could balance some of what he says
by looking at yet other molar behaviourists like Baum or Rachlin. But
try to balance that by reading what some of t he traditional
Skinnerian's are doing, or look at Catania's book "Learning".

PS. Unless you can get Baum, Catania etc to post to c.a.p, it's probably
unwise to advise others NOT to read what Glen and I suggest.

"Fragments", incidentally, is just part of the theoretical background to
a large (national) project in Applied Behaviour Analysis - the PROBE
project.

http://www.longley.demon.co.uk/Frag.htm

But perhaps you're just looking for an interesting read rather than
anything practically useful.

--
David Longley