death of the mind.

Glen M. Sizemore gmsizemore2 at
Sat Jul 17 17:21:46 EST 2004

SN: When one thinks to lift one's arm to grab a CD, one has the option of
> "just thinking it", without actually doing it. Several studies verified
> even in this consciously inhibited situation one activates most of the
> areas involved in the grasping of the object.
> GS: One would think that it would probably be this way. After all,
> is behavior.

SN: I suppose you're complaining about my use of the word "thinking",[.]

GS: I'm not complaining about anything - yet.

SN: [.]which may be, to a radical behaviorist, an unforgivable sin.

GS: It isn't. Thinking is behavior.

SN: Let's then change that to "patterns of activations" as determined by
fMRI, for instance. Would it make any difference?

GS: That's stupid - it misses the whole point. The point is that when you
instruct people to think about behaving in a particular fashion, much of
what goes on in the brain is like what goes on when the person engages in
the full-blown action. It makes sense that it should be like this, since
thinking is behavior. When we privately do things - talking, seeing, etc. we
are doing some of the same things that we do when we engage in the more
public aspects of these sorts of responses.

news:40f9a4c3_2 at