Under-Appreciated Gems of Scientific Epistemology

Gregory L. Hansen glhansen at steel.ucs.indiana.edu
Tue Jul 20 20:09:27 EST 2004

In article <235c483f.0407201549.681ffa4 at posting.google.com>,
Jeff Lanfield <jlanfield2003 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>I am writing a paper on how new ideas gain acceptance in science. I
>would like to get opinions on what were the most profound books and
>thinkers on scientific epistemology you have encountered.
>
>By  this I mean a work that totally changed the way you look at the
>world and at science.

None.  My understanding of science has evolved slowly, from numerous
sources and personal experiences.  It's shuffled and stumbled forward as I
slowly grasp concepts on the fourth attempt at general relativity,
fifth attempt at quantum field theory, or whatever.  There are certainly
some very good and useful books, but I can't say I've read any that, as
you say, have totally changed the way I look at the world and at science.

--
"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal.  The rest is
poetry, imagination." -- Max Planck