death of the mind.

dan michaels feedbackdroids at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 22 12:58:56 EST 2004

erayo at bilkent.edu.tr (Eray Ozkural  exa) wrote in message news:<fa69ae35.0407220601.2cc94db3 at posting.google.com>...
> feedbackdroids at yahoo.com (dan michaels) wrote in message news:<8d8494cf.0407211804.fa191e2 at posting.google.com>...
> >

> > In commenting specifically about such matters, Adler had the following
> > to say in Intellect, Mind Over Matter, 1990, pg X.
> >
> > "... Metaphysical materialism ... has two obvious defects. The first
> > is that it has its foundation in a negative proposition that has never
> > been proved and never can be. In other words, it rests on the
> > unprovable postulate or assumption that nothing immaterial does or can
> > exist. That assumption may be true. Making it is not an error.
> > Asserting it ... dogmatically as an established truth ... however, not
> > as something that may be assumed, 'is' a serious error, a culpable
> > mistake to be avoided ...."
>
> Let's please avoid equating metaphysical materialism with behaviorism.
>
> My digital multism, for instance, is metaphysical materialism, but it
> is by no means behaviorism. Machine functionalism is materialist as
> well, but it is not behaviorism.
>
> Regards,

You'll have to take the terminology issue up with Adler. As I see it,
not all materialism is beh, nor dogmatic. My materialism is neither,
of course. Does your DM dogmatically assert the truth of the
nonexistence of things unprovable? I doubt it. According to Adler,
making working assumptions are not the error, but asserting dogmatism
as truth is error.