How the retina works

Wil Hadden ask at me.com
Thu Jul 22 15:21:03 EST 2004

"MZ" <zarellam at twcnyremove.rr.comspam> wrote in message
news:tpudnQhUY_kMYmPdRVn-tA at giganews.com...
> > Lateral inhibition looks promising I must say. It resembles a self
> organising map in
> > neural networks and seems to be very useful!
> > I'm presuming that the horizontal and amacrine cells exhibit lateral
> inhibition, so
> > there's no getting away from it!
>
> It may be worthwhile to start with Hartline's work on limulus and advance
> into the many subsequent modelling (etc) papers.  Passaglia and Barlow '98
> is an interesting one.
>
> Relevance to mammalian retina?  Sure, why not?

Excellent, I've had a look at a website detailing Harline's work and it states that
lateral inhibition is only used for edge detection, though I know it's also used for
motion detection.

Is that all it's used for or are there other applications.

My research since that posting has pointed me at Adaptive Resonance Theory, which looks to
formalise an implemntation of lateral inhibition in a biologocally plausable manner.

Can someone remind me of the method which is basically the same as ART 1 and ART 2 put
together? I can't remember it off the top of my head.

Wil

---