Why are the cryosections fragmented and how can this be solved?

Matthew Kirkcaldie m.kirkcaldie at removethis.unsw.edu.au
Tue Mar 2 23:02:59 EST 2004

In article <3q71c.30147$hm4.28714 at newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
 "kenneth p  Collins" <kpaulc at earthlink.net> wrote:

> > I'm not 'familiar' with your problem, but suggest
> > that you perfect your sectioning technique with
> > untreated tissue - you know, separate the var-
> > iables, establish your expertise with the simpler
> > problem, then add variables, proceding only when
> > you're satisfied with the results at each level of
> > complexity.
>
> What I wrote is inadequate.
>
> =Freeze= and take sections without otherwise
> treating the tissue.
>
> Then add other variables, one at a time.

Ken, if you can't help, don't give meaningless advice.

To the original poster: can you cryoprotect your tissue using a 30%
sucrose solution?  Or try another fix technique such as acetone or
alcohol?

In the end I suspect a cryostat is going to be your best bet - it
doesn't require fixation and is almost guaranteed to pull off a clean
section which can be air-dried to fix it to the slide.

      Cheers,

         Matthew.