neuroscience training?

John H. johnh at faraway.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Thu Mar 11 21:17:45 EST 2004

Peter,

Checked out the Lorber stuff. Hmmm, some controversy there it seems. Some
argue that slow progressive hydroencephalus could not result in Lorber's
claims as a CAT cannot measure 1mm thickness anyway. What you do see though
is gross distortions of the cortex. Still puzzled though as to why his
claims were never followed up with modern imaging techniques. Also noted in
my searches some interesting autopsy cases relating to this issue.

As to the menstrual cycle stuff, see my response to NMF's query, can provide
file if you wish.

For a really puzzling account of plasticity, you might want to dig up the
work by some Melbourne bods with a girl who had cerebral palsy and was
paralyzed in one arm. They applied constraint induced movement therapy and
did fMRI's, to their surprise, the ipsilateral hemisphere took over the job
and she is\was slowly regaining the use of the paralyzed arm.

John H.

John H.
"Peter F." <effectivespamblock at ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:mk_3c.394$TA2.8951 at nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...

> "John H." <johnh at faraway.> wrote in message
> news:405037d3 at dnews.tpgi.com.au...
>
> > Okay, there is a certain style of modularity in the brain but if you
> examine
> > the data you also find some very intriguing exceptions. Last year some
> > German scientists studied how female brains handle language through the
> > course of the menstrual cycle. To their surprise they found noted
> > differences across the cycle. Not small regionally specific differences
> > either, but wholesale changes in left-right balance in language
production
> > and comprehension. <snip>
>
> Hormonally or otherwise induced functional plasticity does not destroy
*my*
> concept of modularity
> %-|
>
> > The work of John Lorber on microencephalics and\or those who had shunts
> > inserted because of hydroencephalus raises some perplexing questions
about
> > brain organisation.
>
> There is both genetic and epigenetic [check-out Cabej in
sci.bio.evolution]