Prediction Verified

Didier A. Depireux didier at rai.isr.umd.edu
Thu Mar 18 10:24:10 EST 2004

David Longley <David at longley.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Do you think people should indulge such delusional behaviour?

If you work in neuroscience, you know as well as all of us that a person can
loose the use of an arm through a stroke, and then go on denying that the
limp arm to their side is theirs. If the brain's consciousness can work
around an unusable part of the body, then surely a delusional person can
easily deny that there's anything wrong with him or her, and refuse
medications that will bring him or her to normalcy. A strong family support
is needed in most cases.

As much as I enjoyed your thoughtful criticism, I am sure you realize that
beyond a certain point it becomes pointless.

						Didier

Didier A Depireux         ddepi001 at umaryland.edu  didier at isr.umd.edu
685 W.Baltimore Str      http://neurobiology.umaryland.edu/depireux.htm
Anatomy and Neurobiology                      Phone: 410-706-1272 (off)
University of Maryland                                      -1273 (lab)
Baltimore MD 21201 USA                             Fax: 1-410-706-2512