Xanax and Being Able to Eat: A Mystery

Jodee Chabot Jodee_Chabot at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 22 03:51:23 EST 2004

BilZ0r <BilZ0r at TAKETHISOUThotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94B45596CD4B9BilZ0rhotmailcom at 202.20.93.13>...
> My theory is that this a kind of seizure, completely unrelated to the
> surgery. Some seizures can be brough on by any stimulus, the famous case
> is a man who had a seizure caused by hair cuts. And on the other end,
> seizures can have any output. They don't neccasarily involve muslce
> spasms or loss of conciousness. I geuss that the input required to cause
> you to have a seizure is fatty food, and the output from the seziure is
> possibley the vestibular nucleus, which causes vertigo and then
> vomitting.
>
> Anyone got anything better?

Hi, it's me again, Jodee.

I replied to you on the other newsgroup; thank you very much for your
thoughtful reply. I've been researching all day. I have some new
information; not sure what it all amounts to, but, wow, it's pretty
interesting.

First, I've discovered that both Valium and Xanax have been used in
the treatment of vertigo. I happened upon it because another poster in
another group suggested that the reason Xanax made easy for me to eat
is because it's a GABA-nergic, thus stimulating my appetite; she said
a few sips of wine before meals would have the same effect. The thing
is, I'm plenty hungry -- it's the vertigo after I eat and the
subsequent vomitting that makes eating such an ordeal for me. However,
despite the lady's misapprehension of the reason for my trouble with
food, I decided to research the meaning of GABA-nergic anyway, which
lead me to this:

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/practice/drugrx.html

"Benzodiazepines are gamma-amino butyric acid (GABA) modulators,
acting centrally to suppress vestibular responses. In small doses,
these drugs are extremely useful. Addiction, impaired memory,
increased risk of falling, and impaired vestibular compensation are
their main shortcomings. Lorazepam is a particularly useful agent
because of its effectiveness and simple kinetics. Addiction, the
biggest problem, can usually be avoided by keeping the dose to 0.5 mg
BID or less. Similarly, low doses of diazepam (Valium) (2 mg) can be
quite effective. Clonazepam (Klonopin), appears as effective a
vestibular suppressant as lorazepam. The author prefers to avoid use
of alprazolam (Xanax) for vestibular suppression, because of the
potential for a difficult withdrawal syndrome. Long acting
benzodiazepines are not helpful for relief of vertigo."

Hoorah! I'm not insane! My vertigo is not an hysterical reaction --
Xanax simply tranquilizes my aggitated vestibular system. Perhaps if I
show this article to my doc, he might consider prescribing one of
these others, Lorazepam, maybe, until we get a more through handle on
the problem.

There's more. I gather you're a medical student or similar, so you
might take a dim view of any sort of alternative medicine (if that is
what this is), but still, you might find this paragraph kind of
interesting:

http://www.enzymes.com/enzyme_deficiencies.html

"The condition of vertigo, or labrynthis, also called Meniere's
Disease (dizziness aggravated by movement such as walking or driving),
can result from lipase deficiency. A nutritionist saw this condition
develop suddenly in a young man after the typical American fat
challenge test - a meal which consisted of a fried fish sandwich with
tartar sauce, double cheeseburger plus a bag of french fries. The
dizziness was accompanied by severe nausea and vomiting which was
aggravated by movement. This condition lasted several days. Lipase can
relieve a condition like this, often within minutes."

Maybe I simply don't produce enough lipase? Unless you think it's a
complete scam, I just might order some of the lipase suppliment from
these people. I recall ten years ago when I had my first episodes, a
doc prescribed amalase in powder form to put in juice before meals; it
did nothing for me and now I know why -- amalase breaks down carbs,
and I don't have a problem with carbs but with fat!)

I didn't find any literature that would link hours of violent vertigo
to seizure, nor could I find anything that tied all of my symptoms
together (palsy, stupor, "electric" shocks and prolonged vertigo), but
I'm determined to keep looking until I figure it out. You have been
enormously helpful and inspiring -- thank you so much for taking me
seriously.

Fondly,

Jodee