Big Brains

SeeBelow at SeeBelow.Nut SeeBelow at SeeBelow.Nut
Mon Mar 22 21:18:50 EST 2004

B Gilmour wrote:

> Big Brains and Bipedalism
>
> One of the reasons often quoted for the limit on human brain size, is the
> restriction placed on head size due to childbirth. In bipedal humans,
> childbirth poses a serious risk for both mother and child (mortality rates
> increasing for both), because the newborn must now pass out of a narrow
> birth canal between the narrower pelvis hips (which have evolved for an
> upright posture). This is a problem not experienced to the same degree by
> quadrupeds. It is now well established that bipedalism evolved first
> followed by large brains. To me this seems something of a paradox because we
> have a trait, bipedalism (with its associated narrower birth canal and
> increased mortality) which would seem to place selective pressure on smaller
> heads (and associated brains), not larger. The adaptive value of larger
> brains must now be explained as being very significant in order to overcome
> this reverse trend which would have been expected.
>
> I would now like to suggest an alternate hypothesis, which is, that larger
> brains are a direct result of bipedalism and difficult child birth rather
> than the opposite.
>
> Let me explain.
> Because of bipedalism and its associated difficult childbirth, evolution has
> come up with a partial solution for the big head problem, (neoteny being
> one), and also a softer, (less rigid) more plastic or malleable skull during
> childbirth. Humans at birth have not only a hole in the top of the skull but
> also the skull cap is extremely soft with radial unhealed fractures running
> in all directions. (If you have every seen a newborn immediately after
> birth, their heads look like squashed prunes). Only bipedal humans have this
> trait, quadrupeds have much more hard and rigid skulls with little
> deformation (its not needed), their skulls size (while they still grow) are
> more set at birth.
>
> Could it be that the physiology of brain growth is such that they simply
> grow to their container size? and that the pressure of a growing brain in a
> softer more plastic skull has resulted in a larger brain before the skull
> matures (heals) into a more rigid one. Skulls do not grow to accommodate a
> predetermined brain size, the opposite is true, brains grow to fit a
> genetically determined skull size. When you think about it, brains exactly
> fit skulls. This may seem intuitively obvious, but wait, other body organs
> cannot follow this growing strategy, because they are not enclosed (and
> subsequently restrained) in a rigid structure like a boney skull. This is
> why (as any surgeon will attest) organs can and do vary in size constrained
> only by an inherited genetic growth limit. Is it possible that brains follow
> a different growth strategy. The physiology of brain growth may be different
> from other organs, relying more on the pressure of the container size to
> [...]

I like your idea.  It makes sense to me.

"Many are stubborn in pursuit of the path they have chosen, few in
pursuit of the goal." - Friedrich Nietzsche

http://annevolve.sourceforge.net is what I'm into nowadays.
Humans may write to me at this address: zenguy at shaw dot ca