Interneurons and synaptic symmetry

BilZ0r BilZ0r at TAKETHISOUThotmail.com
Mon May 3 03:46:01 EST 2004

Matthew Kirkcaldie <m.kirkcaldie at removethis.unsw.edu.au> wrote in
news:m.kirkcaldie-5FA1D3.18151103052004 at tomahawk.comms.unsw.edu.au:

> inhibitory (GABAergic in the cortex). If the postsynaptic membrane has
> a larger thickness of dark material (the post-synaptic density) then
> it's an asymmetric synapse, and likely to be excitatory
> (glutamatergic) in nature.

So bassically, there are more psd-95-esque proteins associated with
excititory receptors? In one of the papers, it says that some of the
synapses in question are assymetric, but then contain dense-core
vesicles, which under my understanding ment monoamine. What is the likely
explanation there? That we have co-release, or that certain monoaminergic
postsynaptic densities can be rather large?