Mind control is getting smarter by the minute

Pulkit pulkit_sadabahar at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 02:43:17 EST 2004

"Allen L. Barker" <alb at datafilter.com> wrote in message news:<3kjlc.2379$a47.1458 at newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> New Scientist
> April 24, 2004
> http://www.newscientist.com/opinion/opinterview.jsp;jsessionid=ANDOEACPJDEJ?id=ns24441
>
> We hold these freedoms to be self-evident...
>
> Do you want to block traumatic memories from scarring your mind? Perhaps you
> do, but would you be happy if someone else did it for you? Or how about
> receiving marketing messages beamed directly at you in hypersonic waves?
> Mind control is getting smarter by the minute, says Richard Glen Boire,
> co-founder of the Center for Cognitive Liberty and Ethics in California.
> And, as he told Liz Else, we ain't seen nothing yet...

Sounds very interesting. But yes, a lot of ethical issues are
involved. However, some questions come to my mind. Firstly, if a drug
blocks traumatic memories, won't it also have an effect on other
memories as well. Secondly, using the recall method and concluding
that traumatic memories are reduced may not help in the long run. It
is well known that traumatic memories even if they are not recalled
and out of our conscious awareness and make an individual's life hell.
They can have negative somatic and experiential effects on an
individual. Thirdly, concentrating on symptoms alone can also leave
one astray. Symptoms are always an expression of underlying
disturbances and thus they are not a very good means for ascertaining
the validity of any method.

Regards
Pulkit Sharma
Postgraduate student, Department of Psychology
University of Delhi, India.