Questions on the Nature of memory, personality, etc.

Glen M. Sizemore gmsizemore2 at yahoo.com
Thu May 13 13:24:14 EST 2004

"Quito Quito" <qquito at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:98d60386.0405130954.4d2ef583 at posting.google.com...
> Hi, Robert:
>
> Does modern neuroscience accept the notion of "free will" as believed
> by Christians?
>
> I feel that a human being is just like a computer, only more complex.
> A human being does not have any "will", and all actions it takes is a
> result of passive reactions to external stimulations. A word or an
> idea you hear from a psychological therapist is just a stimulation.

You're on the right track here, but you should drop the notion concerning
"passive reactions to external stimulations." Not all behavior can be so
characterized. Much important behavior is not "elicited" by stimuli. It
occurs spontaneously (at least at the behavioral level) and it has effects
on the world. These effects (consequences) modify the animal's behavior.
This is very different from the S-R model you suggest.

news:<85d56b27.0405122306.5465d202 at posting.google.com>...