Questions on the Nature of memory, personality, etc.

Robert M?rtin robertmaertin at
Mon May 17 13:36:41 EST 2004

In article <85d56b27.0405161400.1eac5c3a at>, Robert
M?rtin <robertmaertin at> writes

>>GS: Well..I don't know what you have in mind by "limitations." These
>>technologies are ok, but what is really troublesome is that
>>which areas are transiently more active when people or animals do
>>things (and defining what they ARE doing is an issue) doesn't get
>>anywhere, really, at least not in isolation. The problem is that we
>>have a good idea how physiology mediates behavioral function. If you
>>collected fMRI data from now 'til doomsday, you still wouldn't know.
>>Okay. The problem about functional imaging techniques like fMRI or
>>is that they measure metabolic activity indirectly and with a huge
>>delay. They have a nice spatial and a poor temporal resolution. As
>>cannot do electrophysiology in humans, you have to rely on these
>>coarse mesurements. If you are trying to correlate higher cognitive
>>functions like speech processing with these data, then you are
>>throwing around with big words and make big assumptions without
>>ground. Those studies are generally regarded to be suspicious.
>>We don't know how physiology mediates behaviour... If you had read
>>what we're researching on... well what everybody is working on :
>>is it.
>>GS: Now this is really interesting stuff. Do you know of O'Regan and
>>They're behaviorists only they don't know it.
>>YES. I'm familiar with their works. I'm also familiar with the
>>successful works of Paul Bach-y-Rita. I like both. Of course tehy
>>behaviourists, too. But at least their theories work and
>>devices work as well.
>>GS: Well, I would have to agree. But it isn't "cognitive science;"
>>unless you can tell me what "cognitions" are.
>>GS: And what, exactly, is human cognition?
>>My God. I am interested in attentional mechanisms, conscious
>>perception, binding, exploratory motor behaviour, visual processing,
>>attention for action, response selection, emotions... I think
>>definition I look up on the internet... this would be quite a good
>>share of "cognition". And if this does not suffice in your eyes...
>>GS: Let's far you have talked about behavior, and you have
>>about physiology..nope...I don't see any cognitions, do you?
>>GS: Does it have anything to do with
>>"human behavior?"
>>Sure thing. You can't regard the brain detached from the body.
>>External physiological reactions go hand in hand with certain tasks.
>>E.g. saccades, nystagmus, ANS activity. We act therefore we are. Of
>>course you have to have a look inside the black box and predict and
>>explain what you see.
>>GS: Let me ask you this: Do we see the world, or do we see a copy
>>whatever sort) of the world "in our brain?" Do you talk about
>>retrieval at all?
>>There are retinotopic mappings of various forms to be found in the
>>brain. However, I think that the world acts as an outside memory. I
>>think you know the discussions. This is my opinion. No, I don't talk
>>about storage and retrieval at all. These terms are very biased
> [...]

Is this a language problem here Robert ? Reading this exchange I kept
asking myself what was going on. You began (a few posts back) by
asserting that you were a hard nosed eliminative materialist. I saw
(who, as a radical behaviorist, is at least a "kissing cousin" in this
respect) probing just how deep that eliminativism actually went. There
are far too many fakes around in "cognitive neuroscience" who
appropriate anything that looks socially desirable and just end up
espousing a hideous pseudo-intellectual eclecticism which amounts, in
view,  to something far worse (logically incoherent and empirically
unfalsifiable) than honest (but misguided) mentalism. At times (in
some of your responses), you seem to come close to doing just this,
your pleas for Glen to stop probing make it look like you just don't
want to have your weakness exposed <g>.

I'm sorry. So Glen does not mean the term "behaviourist" to be an
insult ?
I thought he was intimidating O'Regan and A Noe... which I admire.
And that makes many of his questions clearer to me.
Yes... might have been a language problem...
So : Glen critizises that I claim to do cognitive science and be able
to explain "cognition"
 even though I do only behavioural experiments combined with
You think it's an utopian idea to look for such an ill-defined and
powerful thing like "cognition" ?

I thought by asking "where is cognition" you wanted to show how futile
it is to make neuropsychological experiments not aiming at the
explanation of the big picture of "higher cognitive functions".
I thought you were being sarcastic when you called O'Regan and Noe
behaviourists and when you alluded to behavioural components of

Okay. If this is the case, I do agree. Then this has been a
misunderstanding from my side.
Very Sorry about this.

Did I get it right this time ?