Questions on the Nature of memory, personality, etc.

David Longley David at longley.demon.co.uk
Fri May 21 05:42:05 EST 2004

In article <85d56b27.0405201156.367880ab at posting.google.com>, Robert
M?rtin <robertmaertin at gmx.de> writes
>@ Glen
>
>Hi
>

>> GS: Just a brief interruption; what is a computation? Is any phenomenon that
>> can be given any kind of quantitative treatment the "result of computation?"
>> Does the Moon "compute" its orbit, for example?
>No. If you are looking at the moon and its noisy signal hits your
>retinae... then the computation starts.
>You now... noise reduction, signal enhancement, covert attentional
>effects, edge detection, feature extraction...
>that stuff.
>No need to get philosophical here. Please read on.
>

>> RM: And I'm not talking about abstract symbol
>> manipulating theories from cognitive psychology. I'm talking about
>> underlying data-processing structures (nets of neurons of varying
>> properties).
>>

>> GS: Well..presumably you're talking about EPSPs, IPSPs, action potentials,
>> neurotransmitter secretions, G-proteins, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.
>>

>When I thought of computation, I was thinking of neural networks. BUt
>as this terms usually refers to classical neural networks that are
>used to learn "anything", I did not use the term "neural network".
>Obviously the brain computes, we don't need to discuss about that, do
>we ? Actionpotential rush in, converge, diverge, sum up, inhibit
>surrounding neurons, oscillate, backpropagate... WHATEVER. I call it
>computation because thats what it is. Please read on.
>

>> RM: Pretty straight forward...
>> What do we do now ? Besides the fact that we are in need of new
>> terminology we are right inside the Black Box. We can now make
>> assumptions classical behaviourism does not offer the tools for. (Does
>> it ?)
>>

>> GS: No, it doesn't. But neither does cognitive "science." There is nothing
>> new about talking about physiology.
>
>Ahem...
>Novelty is not the point here. If we want to explain how "physiology
>mediates behaviour" (remember?)
>should we leave out the physiology here ? Please keep you comments
>till you read the last paragraph :)
>

>> RM: I think that we are past a point were we can take a term like "spatial
>> attention", get its definition and look for (or propose) underlying
>> mechanisms.
>>

>> GS: Sorry, I can't figure out what you are saying here.
>
>"spatial attention" was just an example. I think that when we work at
>the junction between behaviour and physiology we can create terms like
>"spatial attention" or "response selection" to describe putative parts
>of a behavioural task.
>We have to accurately describe what signal processing and control
>tasks may be involved in a certain behaviour.
>When we have done so, we may look for neural correlates of these
>mechanisms using known techniques.
>But the point is that the terms mentioned above are not as ill-defined
>as usual cognitive science terms (e.g. "semantic processing") and I
> [...]

Behavioural and Neurological Science or Behavioural-Neuroscience might
have sufficed.

It really *does* matter, as all the "psychological" and "cognitive" talk
is basically non-science, and for quite sound, logical, scientific
reasons as I've tried to explicate (if not demonstrate) elsewhere..

--
David Longley
http://www.longley.demon.co.uk/Frag.htm