Questions on the Nature of memory, personality, etc.

mat mats_trash at hotmail.com
Tue May 25 11:32:10 EST 2004

qquito at hotmail.com (Quito Quito) wrote in message news:<98d60386.0405130954.4d2ef583 at posting.google.com>...
> Hi, Robert:
>
> Does modern neuroscience accept the notion of "free will" as believed
> by Christians?
>
> I feel that a human being is just like a computer, only more complex.
> A human being does not have any "will", and all actions it takes is a
> result of passive reactions to external stimulations. A word or an
> idea you hear from a psychological therapist is just a stimulation.
>
> Roland

The onus is not to prove the case but have those who believe in 'free
will' actually define it in such a way that is substantively different
from what you are proposing - i.e. what is it to be free?  I mean I
can perform a completely random action which may be 'inexplicable' to
observers but it does have a cause - my motivation to do so.  This is
further a consequence of prior experience and environmental influence
ad infinitum.  I don't see that free will is even a sound notion, no
matter an alternative hypothesis.  If we are so free that we can act
without any precipitating cause then the action is nothing more than
random!