Enlightened Empiricism, Extensionalism and the Control of Operant Behavior

patty pattyNO at SPAMicyberspace.net
Wed Nov 3 15:01:41 EST 2004

David Longley wrote:
> Part III link:
>
> <http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=QFJfeZHSY8cAFwYY@longley.demon.co.u
> k>
>
> Part II covered what some might consider to be a controversial view of
> the basics of avoidance behaviour in the context of the control of
> operant behaviour.

Err ... yes ... we humans do avoid the control of our behavior ... i
think it has something to do with why we are so good at surviving.

> The following put a cautionary "gloss" on what's infected and corrupted
> behavioural science for far too long under the guise of "cognitivism".
> If anyone thinks this is merely an academic matter, they should look
> more carefully at the links at the end, and some of the series I've
> provided before (along with a considerable amount of other material on
> this issue (mainly to comp.ai.philosophy) since early 1995).
>
> <http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=MxBYT7I587eBFw8u@longley.demon.co.u
> k>
>
> The difficulty which most folk face when trying to make sense of this is
> that they don't understand how enlightened empiricism differs from
> classic empiricism

 From [1] <http://www.philosophers.co.uk/cafe/phil_mar2004.htm>
""
As an empiricist - one who thinks all knowledge claims are justified by
experience - Quine was committed to the role of sensory experience in
knowledge. But since a single mind has no fixed anchor to halt inner
experience from 'drifting', Quine argued that in a community, drift
would be arrested; we are not apt to drift in the same direction. Thus
publicly reinforced language - and not subjective ideas - could check
the tendency for drift. 'Safety in numbers' rather than subjective
certainty would provide Quine's key to knowledge.
""

In other words (mine) enlightened empiricism draws the experiential
bubble [2] in a different place than classic empiricism draws it.  It
draws it out in the culture, not around the skin of the individual.  In
my opinion, a better cut.

[2] <http://groups.google.com/groups?q=experiential+bubble>

> or how the extensional stance requires one to
> understand the scope of the empirical science of behaviour, ie Behaviour
> Analysis.

Interperting the world from the point of view of what we learn from
operating Skinner boxes is a bit too limiting for my tastes.

I suggest we trim newsgroups.

patty