Analysis of Brain Scans [was Re: Brain surface]

John Hasenkam johnh at faraway.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Tue Nov 9 06:19:26 EST 2004

At least now I know why my head feels hot, I live on the stuff.

Coffee's Effect on Cerebral Blood Flow Has Implications for Functional Brain
Imaging

 http://www.pcipr.com/RSNA/news/coffee.asp
 CHICAGO - The prospect that caffeine diminishes blood flow to the brain, or
"cerebral perfusion" as past studies suggest, raises questions about brain
imaging exams that a recent study attempts to answer. With 54 percent of
American adults drinking coffee daily and another 25 percent partaking
occasionally, any effect that caffeine might have on brain function could be
important.

The caffeine dose consistently reduced blood flow by nearly one-fourth in
the gray matter of the brain where the nerve cells concentrate, and by
one-fifth in the white matter where fibers connect different parts of the
brain. Heavy caffeine users had significantly higher gray-matter blood flow
in the frontal areas of the brain than did low-level users. The extent of
cerebral blood flow change in response to caffeine dosing was similar at all
levels of daily caffeine intake.

news:uC%jd.81087$OD2.35597 at bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...