Can the brain act as a radio receptor? Enhanced by substances?

Allen L. Barker alb at datafilter.com
Tue Nov 9 12:51:57 EST 2004

The Ram wrote:
> Is it possible for the brain to act as a radio receptor?

The brain can and does act as a radio receptor.  That is, the
brain can be affected at the neuronal level by electromagnetic
waves in the radio-frequency EM band (and others).  That is
*not* the same as being able to hear, say, a radio show modulated
onto the EM waves.  Check out some of the work by Allan Frey,
for example, for an introduction to the fascinating area of
EM bioeffects.

There is a phenomenon known as microwave hearing (or RF hearing,
or the Frey effect) whereby pulsed microwaves are perceived as
sound.  This is generally thought to be due to ordinary acoustic
waves set up in the head via the thermal effects of repeated
microwave pulses.  In that sense, then, the brain is the receptor
only due to its physical mass in the skull; the real "hearing"
occurs along ordinary ear pathways (like with bone-conducted
hearing).  There do exist special modulation methods which allow
for encoding "voices" onto pulsed microwaves which are then
perceived by a target "illuminated" with the beam.  These
"voice-projection" devices are generally classified as
"nonlethal" weapons, BTW, and documented public information
about them is limited.

An internet search on any of these areas will turn up all sorts
of web pages...

> Can it be that substances enhance the reception capacity of the brain?

That is surely the case; the only questions are, which
substances, and exactly what effects do they have in that regard?

Below are some interesting excerpts from an article by the Sunshine
Project, which monitors biological and chemical weapons development.
I have read other proposals suggesting that certain subpopulations
might be chemically sensitized (or desensitized) to advanced weapons
like EM weapons, but the below article is actually specific as to
the drug and its rough effect.  It is not entirely clear, though,
what particular electromagnetic weapons are being referred to.

Pentagon Program Promotes Psychopharmacological Warfare
http://www.sunshine-project.org/publications/pr/pr010702.html

(Austin and Hamburg, 1 July 2002) - The Advantages and
Limitations of Calmatives for Use as a Non-Lethal Technique, a
49 page report obtained last week by the Sunshine Project under
US information freedom law, has revealed a shocking Pentagon
program that is researching psychopharmacological weapons.
Based on "extensive review conducted on the medical literature
and new developments in the pharmaceutical industry", the
report concludes that "the development and use of
[psychopharmacological weapons] is achievable and desirable."
These mind-altering weapons violate international agreements on
chemical and biological warfare as well as human rights. Some
of the techniques discussed in the report have already been
used by the US in the "War on Terrorism".

The team, which is based at the Applied Research Laboratory of
Pennsylvania State University, is assessing weaponization of a
number of psychiatric and anesthetic pharmaceuticals as well
as "club drugs" (such as the "date rape drug" GHB). According
to the report, "the choice administration route, whether
application to drinking water, topical administration to the
skin, an aerosol spray inhalation route, or a drug filled rubber
bullet, among others, will depend on the environment." The
environments identified are specific military and civil
situations, including "hungry refugees that are excited over the
distribution of food", "a prison setting", an "agitated
population" and "hostage situations". At times, the JNLWD
team's report veers very close to defining dissent as a
psychological disorder.

[...]

Torture: Precedex is a sedative approved for use in the US on
patients hospitalized in intensive care units. The report draws
attention to an "interesting phenomenon" related to Precedex
use - the drug increases patients' reaction to electrical shock.
The researchers suggest sensitizing people by using Precedex on
them, followed by use of electromagnetic weapons to "address
effects on the few individuals where an average dose of the
pharmacological agent did not have the desired effect."
Obviously, such a technique might be considered torture, and
certainly could be used to torture. To add to hypnotic and
delusional properties, the researchers suggest that
psychopharmaceutical agents could be designed to have physical
effects including headache and nausea, adding to their torture
potential.

[...]

--
Mind Control: TT&P ==> http://www.datafilter.com/mc